Let The Realty Concierge help you find the best Houses & Homes For Sale in Hudson Massachusetts. We specialize in all purchase and sale transactions.
The Realty Concierge is a group of proud real estate agents in Hudson MA. Our core values of commitment, compassion, technical innovation, consistency, and boldness, accelerate as well as give us a measurable edge and impact on buying and selling.
With a population of 15508 and a median income of 80362, Hudson is an excellent location with an extremely active market.
Hudson is located right outside of Boston and has been frequently voted one of the best communities to live in. When it comes to buying a house in Hudson, look no further than The Realty Concierge and our real estate agents in Hudson MA
The Realty Concierge’s highly trained and talented real estate agents in Hudson MA have been helping home buyers and sellers in Hudson for over 5 years. The Realty Concierge agents use many techniques such as photos, interactive floor plans, real estate websites, reverse prospecting, social media, and more. Our main goal is to attract as many potential buyers to your home as possible, because we know exactly how much your home has to offer!
Don’t hesitate to reach out today!
Indigenous people lived in what became central Massachusetts for thousands of years prior to European settlement. Indigenous oral histories, archaeological evidence, and European settler documents attest to historic settlements of the Nipmuc people in present-day Hudson and the surrounding area. Nipmuc settlements along the Assabet River intersected with the territories of three other related Algonquian-speaking peoples: the Massachusett, Pennacook, and Wampanoag.
In 1650, the area that would become Hudson and Marlborough was part of the Ockookangansett Indian Plantation for the Praying Indians. During King Philip’s War, English settlers forcibly evicted the Indians from their plantation, imprisoning and killing many of them; most survivors did not return after the conflict. The first recorded European settlement of the Hudson area occurred in 1698 or 1699 when settler John Barnes was granted 1 acre (0.40 ha) of Indian lands straddling both banks of the Assabet River. Barnes built a gristmill on the Assabet River’s north bank on land that would one day be part of Hudson. In 1699 or 1700 Barnes sold his gristmill to Joseph Howe, who built a sawmill and bridge across the Assabet. Other early settlers include Jeremiah Barstow, who built a house near today’s Wood Square in central Hudson, and Robert Barnard, who purchased the house from Barstow. The area became known as Howe’s Mills, Barnard’s Mills, or simply The Mills throughout the 1700s.
The settlement was originally part of the town of Marlborough. In June 1743, area residents Samuel Witt, John Hapgood, and others petitioned to break away from Marlborough and become a separate town, claiming the journey to attend Marlborough’s town meeting was “vastly fatiguing.” Their petition was denied by the Massachusetts General Court. Samuel Witt later served on committees of correspondence during the 1760s. At least nine men from the area fought with the Minutemen on April 19, 1775, as they harassed British troops along the route to Boston.
The area established itself as an early industrial center. Business partners Phineas Sawyer and Jedediah Wood built a sawmill on Tannery Brook, a tributary stream of the Assabet River today crossed by Main Street, in the mid-1700s. This was followed by another mill on the Assabet in 1788 and a blacksmith’s forge in 1790. Joel Cranston opened a pub and general store—the settlement’s first—in 1794. Silas Felton (1776–1828) arrived in the settlement in 1799, joining Cranston in business: it was not long before the area became known as Feltonville.
Feltonville’s—and later Hudson’s—significant role in the shoe industry may trace its origins to Daniel Stratton. A shoemaker, Stratton opened his Feltonville shop in 1816, expanding it to a small factory on Washington Street in 1821.
In the 1850s, Feltonville received its first railroads. There were two Feltonville train stations, originally operated by the Central Massachusetts Railroad Company and later by Boston & Maine, until both were closed in 1965. Railroads allowed the development of larger factories, some of the first in the country to use steam power and sewing machines. By 1860, Feltonville had 17 shoe and shoe-related factories, which attracted Irish and French Canadian immigrants.
Feltonville residents fought for the Union during the American Civil War. Twenty-five of those men died doing so. Two existing houses—the Goodale Homestead on Chestnut Street (Hudson’s oldest building, dating from 1702) and the Curley home on Brigham Street (formerly known as the Rice Farm)—have been cited as waystations on the Underground Railroad.
On May 16, 1865, Feltonville residents once again petitioned to become a separate town. They cited the difficulty of attending town meeting, as their predecessors had in 1743, and also noted that Marlborough’s high school was too far for most Feltonville children to practicably attend. This petition was approved by the Massachusetts General Court on March 16, 1866. A committee suggested naming the new town Hudson after Congressman Charles Hudson, who was born and raised in the Feltonville neighborhood. By his own account, in response to this honor, Charles Hudson offered to donate $500 towards establishing a free public library. Town citizens gratefully voted to accept Congressman Hudson’s gift.
Over the next twenty years, Hudson grew as several industries settled in town. Two woolen mills, an elastic-webbing plant, a piano case factory, and a factory for waterproofing fabrics by rubber coating were constructed. Private banks, five schools, a poor farm, and the current town hall were also built during this time. The population hovered around 4,000 residents, most of whom lived in modest houses with small backyard gardens. Some of Hudson’s wealthier citizens built elaborate Queen Anne Victorian mansions, and many of them still exist. One of the finest is the 1895 Colonel Adelbert Mossman House on Park Street, which is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The town maintained five volunteer fire companies during the 1880s and 1890s, one of which manned the Eureka Hand Pump, a record-setting pump that could shoot a 1.5-inch (38 mm) stream of water 229 feet (70 m). Despite this glut of fire companies, on July 4, 1894, two boys playing with firecrackers started a fire that burned down 40 buildings and 5 acres (20,000 m2) of central Hudson. Nobody was hurt, but the damages were estimated at $400,000 in 1894 (the equivalent of approximately $11.1 million in 2018). The town was substantially rebuilt within a year or two.
By 1900, Hudson’s population reached about 5,500 residents and the town had built a power plant on Cherry Street. Many houses were wired for electricity, and to this day Hudson produces its own power under the auspices of the Hudson Light and Power Department, a non-profit municipal utility owned by the town. The brick Hudson Armory building accommodating local Massachusetts militia, and later units of the Massachusetts National Guard, opened in 1910. Electric trolley lines were built connecting Hudson with the towns of Leominster, Concord, and Marlborough, though these only remained in existence until the late 1920s. The factories in town continued to grow, attracting immigrants from England, Germany, Portugal, Lithuania, Poland, Greece, Albania, and Italy. These immigrants usually lived in boarding houses near their places of employment. In 1928, nineteen languages were spoken by the workers of the Firestone-Apsley Rubber Company.
Today, the majority of Hudson residents are of Irish or Portuguese descent, with lesser populations of Brazilian, Italian, French, French Canadian, English, Scotch-Irish, Greek, and Polish descent. About one-third of Hudson residents are of Portuguese descent or birth. Most people of Portuguese descent in Hudson are from the Azorean island of Santa Maria, with a smaller amount from the island of São Miguel, the Madeira islands, or from the Trás-os-Montes region of mainland Portugal. The Portuguese community in Hudson maintains the Hudson Portuguese Club, which was established in 1919. It has outlived Hudson’s other ethnic clubs, including the Buonovia Club (Italian American), the Lithuanian Citizens’ Club, a Polish American club, and other Portuguese American clubs. In 2003 the Hudson Portuguese Club replaced its original Port Street clubhouse with a function hall and restaurant built on the same site.
The Portuguese American community in Hudson traces its history to at least 1886, when a certain José Maria Tavares arrived in town. José’s brothers João “John” and Manuel joined him the following year. In 1888 three more Portuguese immigrants reached Hudson: eighteen-year-old José “Joseph” Braga, and António Chaves and his sister Maria. In 1889 the six-person Garcia family arrived. The 1890s saw the addition of the Bairos, Camara, Correia, and Luz families. In 1900 Mr. and Mrs. José “Joseph” Almada and Mrs. Almada’s brother Manuel Silva settled in Hudson. By 1910 eleven more Portuguese families resided in Hudson: the Coito, Costa, Furtado, Grillo, Mello, Pereira, Pimentel, Rainha, Resendes, Ribeiro, and Sousa families. This initial group of Portuguese immigrants all hailed from the Azorean islands of Santa Maria or São Miguel.
By 1916 immigrants from mainland Portugal reached Hudson, including a certain João “John” Rio and family. As early as the 1920s, Hudson’s Portuguese population exceeded 1000 individuals—more than 10% of Hudson’s total population at the time. Some were employed as factory workers, though many also owned small businesses.
Hudson also welcomed a small but well-documented Lithuanian American community. This community originated in 1897, when Anthony Markunas arrived in Hudson. Another early Lithuanian immigrant was Michael Rimkus, who owned and operated a grocery store on the corner of Loring and Broad streets from 1908 to 1950. It appears Lithuanians came to Hudson from larger communities located in Nashua, Worcester, and Boston. Apparently Hudson’s Lithuanians were known for their herb gardens—where they grew rue, chamomile, and mint—and beekeeping. For many years Mr. Karol Baranowski maintained on apiary on Lois Street (now Mason Street). His next-door neighbor Dominic Janciauskas, a fellow Lithuanian American, operated a silver fox farm. The community was large and active enough to support the social and recreational Lithuanian Citizens’ Club, located on School Street from 1926 to 1960.
Hudson’s population hovered around 8,000 from the 1920s to the 1950s, when developers purchased some farms surrounding the town center. The new houses built on this land helped double Hudson’s population to 16,000 by 1970.
During the 1990s high-technology companies built plants in Hudson, most notably the semiconductor factory built by Digital Equipment Corporation. Just before Digital folded in 1998, Intel bought this facility. Under Intel’s ownership, the plant continued producing silicon chips and wafers.
At the height of the Great Recession in the late 2000s, Hudson lost many local businesses. Particularly affected were the downtown commercial district and industrial establishments. Further bad news came in 2013 when Intel, Hudson’s largest employer and charitable donor, announced it would close its Hudson semiconductor factory and layoff 700 employees by 2014. Initially Intel tried to find a buyer for the facility, but when none came forward by 2015, Intel announced it would demolish the plant. However, Intel’s campus in Hudson includes an 850-person microprocessor research and development facility that did not close, and remains operational as of 2020.
Since the mid-2010s Hudson’s commercial downtown has witnessed an economic revitalization, with previously empty storefronts finding tenants. This is partly thanks to the town’s increasing role as a regional culinary destination, including for craft beer. Hudson’s craft beer scene arguably began in 1980 when the Horseshoe Pub & Restaurant opened. Horseshoe established itself as a beer lovers’ haven with an 80-beer tap line and Oktoberfest celebrations. In 2012, the Hudson Rotary Club, Horseshoe Pub, and other local businesses organized the first Spirit of Hudson Food and Brewfest to showcase local restaurants and breweries. Since then, the event has evolved into a large food and beer fest featuring dozens of restaurants and breweries, from tiny local producers to internationally known craft beer stalwarts such as Harpoon and Stone Brewing. The first microbrewery in Hudson, Medusa Brewing Company, opened downtown in 2015. A second – Ground Effect Brewing Company – followed in 2018.
Although Hudson’s population is now about 20,000, the town maintains the traditional town meeting form of government. Some light manufacturing and agricultural uses remain in the eastern end of town, a vestige of Hudson’s dual agrarian and industrial history. However, today Hudson is a mostly suburban bedroom community with many residents commuting to Boston or Worcester.
Before becoming a separate incorporated town in 1866, Hudson was a neighborhood and unincorporated village within the town – now city – of Marlborough, and had various names during that time.
From 1656 until 1700, present-day Hudson and the surrounding area was known as the Indian Plantation or the Cow Commons. From 1700 to 1800, the settlement was known as Howe’s Mills, Barnard’s Mills, or The Mills, evidencing its early industrial history. From 1800 to 1828, the settlement was called New City, for reasons not entirely clear but perhaps related to increased population and industrialization. From 1828 until incorporation in 1866, the village was called Feltonville. The name Feltonville derives from that of Silas Felton, who operated a dry goods store in the hamlet from 1799 onward and served many years as a Marlborough selectman, town clerk, town assessor, and postmaster. Today, Felton remains immortalized in the Silas Felton Hudson Historic District and two Hudson street names: Felton Street and Feltonville Road.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 11.8 square miles (30.7 km2), of which 11.5 square miles (29.8 km2) is land and 0.3 square miles (0.9 km2) (2.87%) is water.
The Assabet River runs prominently through most of Hudson. The river arises from wetlands in Westborough and flows northeast 34 miles (55 km), starting at an elevation of 320 feet (98 m). It descends through the towns of Northborough, Marlborough, Berlin, Hudson, Stow, Maynard, Acton, and finally Concord, where it merges with the Sudbury River to form the Concord River, at an elevation of 100 feet (30 m). The dam in central Hudson is one of nine historic mill or flood control dams on the Assabet River. A portion of the Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge is located in Hudson.
There are various public access points to the Assabet River in Hudson. The back of the Hudson Public Library parking lot provides access to launch canoes and kayaks. Downstream is the dam, but upstream provides miles of flat water—depending on the season, as far southeast as the dam at Millham Reservoir in Marlborough. Another canoe and kayak launch exists farther upstream behind Hudson High School, accessible via an unpaved parking lot on Chapin Street. There is also boat access downstream of the dam at Main Street Landing, accessible from the paved Assabet River Rail Trail parking lot on Main Street, and providing a few miles of paddling northeast until the mill dam in the Stow section of Gleasondale.
On the border with Stow are White’s Pond and Lake Boon, a popular vacation spot prior to the widespread adoption of the automobile but now a primarily residential neighborhood.
On the border with Marlborough is Fort Meadow Reservoir, which once provided drinking water to Hudson and Marlborough. The Town of Hudson owns and maintains Centennial Beach on the shores of Fort Meadow Reservoir. It is open to residents and non-residents for the cost of a daily or season pass, typically from June to August.
Hudson is bordered by four towns and one city: Bolton and Stow on the north, the city of Marlborough on the south, Sudbury on the east, and Berlin on the west.
The neighborhood and unincorporated village of Gleasondale straddles Hudson and Stow.
As of the 2000 census, there were 18,113 people, 6,990 households, and 4,844 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,574.4 people per square mile (608.1/km2). There were 7,168 housing units at an average density of 623.0 per square mile (240.7/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 94.12% White, 0.91% Black or African American, 0.13% Native American, 1.40% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 1.40% from other races, and 1.98% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.06% of the population.
There were 6,990 households, out of which 32.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.7% were married couples living together, 9.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.7% were non-families. 25.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 9.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the town, the population was spread out, with 24.0% under the age of 18, 6.7% from 18 to 24, 33.5% from 25 to 44, 23.6% from 45 to 64, and 12.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $58,549, and the median income for a family was $70,145. Males had a median income of $45,504 versus $35,207 for females. The per capita income for the town was $26,679. About 2.7% of families and 4.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.8% of those under age 18 and 8.7% of those age 65 or over.
As of 2017 Census Bureau estimates, Hudson’s population increased to 19,994. The town’s racial makeup was 92.6% white, 1.3% Black or African American, 0.1% Native American, 2.7% Asian, and 2.5% from two or more races, with Hispanic or Latino people of any race making up 6.7% of the population.
According to 2017 Census Bureau estimates, 90.3% of Hudson residents graduated high school or higher, while 39.8% have a bachelor’s degree or higher. The Census Bureau estimated that in the five-year period between 2013 and 2017, 86.3% of Hudson households had a broadband internet subscription.
The Town of Hudson has an open town meeting form of government, like most New England towns. The current executive assistant, who is an official appointed by the board of selectmen responsible for the day-to-day administrative affairs of the town and who functions with authority delegated to the office by the town charter and bylaws, is Thomas Moses. The Board of Selectmen is a group of publicly elected officials who are the executive authority of the town. There are five positions on the Hudson Board of Selectmen, currently filled by Joseph Durant, Scott R. Duplisea, John M. Parent, Fred P. Lucy II, and James D. Quinn. The selectmen elect from among their membership the positions of chairman, vice-chairman, and clerk of the board.
The Massachusetts legislature abolished the Middlesex County government in 1997. Former county agencies and institutions reverted to the control of the state government of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Certain county government positions, such as District Attorney and Sheriff, still function under the state government instead of a county government.
Owning a home is a keystone of wealth… both financial affluence and emotional security.Suze Orman
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.
Terms and Conditions may apply.
Terms and Conditions may apply.